Blogs > SimonRowe > June 2017

June 2017

Darcy has a home!

28th June 2017

Pet Rescue

Some amazing news to share today in case you’ve not heard already.  You may remember at the start of the year KLFM set about re-homing as many pets as possible from centres in West Norfolk, Wisbech and Fakenham.  Alongside Cat's Protection, West Norfolk RSPCA, Wood Green Animal Shelter and the Retired Greyhound Trust we devoted a whole month to finding forever homes with much success, in fact there was only one animal that I decided we absolutely must help that didn't find a home and this beautiful girl, the adorable, but quite a handful doggy known as Darcy is in the video below.

I'm very pleased to share this from an email I recieved with the exciting news.

The staff at West Norfolk RSPCA rehoming centre have asked me to let you know that Darcy the lively little dog you featured in your program February has been rehomed to a lovely couple who came regularly over a number of weeks to build up a rapport with Darcy before rehoming her.

Andy.

For more on the RSPCA and their animals in Eau Brink please take a look here.

Ed Sheeran's Shirt

23rd June 2017

I've taken the shirt off Ed Sheeran's back! Ed's Shirt

Congratulations to the East Anglia Children’s Hospice who yesterday opened their 24th store in our region.  Upper Market Street, Fakenham is where you'll find their new charity shop selling nothing but donated items by members of the public and if you're quick one or two items from Ed Sheeran but not the shirt pictured above as that now lives in my wardrobe.  It caught my eye when I was interviewing members of staff about the work EACH do and I couldn't resist, especially as it once had a celebrity owner.

This is EACH Head of Retail - Ian Richardson...

Mind Aid

22nd June 2017

MIND - LEE BIGLAND

This morning I was joined by Lee Bigland in his quest to raise awareness and give people with mental health issues, their families and friends.  Having climbed Mount Kilimanjaro raising almost £4000 and winning West Norfolk's Stars' Charity Champion of the Year Award 2016 he has now organised Mind Aid.  This will be an evening of live music at the Alive Corn Exchange on Saturday 24th June featuring The Extons, The Walks, The Coots and the first full play of Reach Out which is an amazing collaboration of talent from all walks of life around West Norfolk.

Hears just a snippet of the song..

Hear the interview in full and learn why you should go for a great night out on Saturday.

Book tickets here

Pitch Battle - Adam Tucker

21st June 2017

This morning on the show I spoke with Adam Tucker formerly of Springwood High School in King's Lynn and now through to the finals of BBC 1's Pitch Battle.

Pitch Battle

Learn more about the show, Adam and the Leeds Contemporary Singers below.

Tour De Tsb

20th June 2017

Tour De TSB

Meet the team from TSB who are cycling between every TSB branch in East Anglia, that's 22 branches  over 5 days between the 19th & 23rd of June.

Jacob Howard and Andrew Lisette have organised the mammoth charity bike ride which will cover 372 miles.

The aim is to raise as much money as possible for 17 chosen local charities. Jacob and Andrew are both Community Ambassadors and the brains behind this fantastic charity event.

Norfolk Hospice

19th June 2017

Norfolk Hospice

After nearly three years of being in their 'new' premises Norfolk Hospice Tapping House from today are accepting residents to their multi-million pound complex in Hillington.  Staff are ready to welcome new patients who will receive the best end of life care from their dedicated staff.  I paid another visit today to learn about the amazing work the Hospice does, how they reached this point and what this facility now that it's open will mean to its users and their families.

Lyndsey Carter - Cheif Exec

Susan Barham - Consultant Nurse

Disco Dough Day St Edmundsbury Primary

12th June 2017

Friday just gone was "Disco Dough Day".   I joined the pupils at St Edmundsbury Church of England Primary in King's Lynn to watch and learn about this activity.

Dough disco involves moulding play dough in time to music, rolling it into a ball, flattening it, putting fingers into the dough, rolling it into a sausage, squeezing it and more.  Its aim to help children’s fine motor muscles to help them develop their pencil grip which will help with their handwriting.

They seemed to enjoy it...

More Appy Days

8th June 2017

My quest to feed cake to all of West Norfolk continues and yesterday I met the aweseome staff at EU Ltd who through their connections have raised almost £2000 for  Jac Coffey who has been batteling cancer.

Four year old Jac had been given he all-clear last summer after beating tumours in his brain and spinal cord.   The family have now been told his cancer could be terminal after Jac, aged four, began complaining of back pain last month.  This money will go towards giving him and his family a fullier life as he can possibly have.

Hannah Wilson, Manager EU King's Lynn

I also found myself in the Science Lab at Springwood High where I discovered scientists make the perfect mug of coffee.

Springwood Science

Finally I paid a visit to Sandringham and West Newton Primary School where I met their Netball Champions - Congrats guys!

Sandringham & West Newton

OneLoveManchester

5th June 2017

One Love Manchester

This morning on KLFM Breakfast we looked back at last night's benefit gig in Manchester, playing the songs that were performed and reflecting on the night.

Alison from Gt Massingham was at Old Trafford Cricket Ground for the concert and told me what it felt like to be there.

Ahead of the gig reporters KLFM's sister station 2BR caught up with those attending.

Thanks for all of the messages regarding KLFM's coverage of the concert last night and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the event, I would like to share on of the messages however.  This is actually a post my Dad made but thought I would share his sentiment

Simon's Dad 77: I'm a wrinkly and don' like modern music or know any of the singers, I thought Ariana Grande was a place! But I watched the show with a tear in my eyes and have nothing but respect for all involved and I will be an Ariana fan for ever!

2017 (97)