Jess Glynne: All I AmiTunesAmazon

Test your smoke alarm over the festive period

Test your smoke alarm over the festive period

Published by Grace Mcgachy
6:00am 27th December 2019.

Short of batteries for the kid's new toys? Don't take them out the smoke alarm.

That's just one piece of advice from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue on keeping fire safe this Christmas.

Christmas and New Year are often full of distractions which is why they're urging us all to be prepared.


Simple things like:

  • Remembering batteries for new toys rather than using the ones in a smoke alarm
  • Making sure electric sockets are not overloaded
  • Keeping cooking surfaces clutter free 

Can all help to prevent a fire in the home.

This time of year is also the time to visit relatives, especially those that might be elderly and living alone.

Group Commander Paul Clarke added:

“Christmas is a time of year to call in on loved ones.

If you do visit elderly relatives, make sure their home is fire safe, for example checking for smoke alarms and giving them a test.

If you have concerns about a relative, particularly if they live alone, get in touch with us to find out about a free Safe and Well visit, where we can provide advice about fire safety and staying well.”


Below are some simple tips to follow:

  • Have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and test it regularly
  • Make sure you never leave cooking unattended and do not cook when tired or under the influence of alcohol
  • Keep cooking areas clear and don’t leave anything flammable, such as tea towels or oven gloves, on or near the hob
  • Make sure you have a working smoke alarm which is correctly fitted and works.
  • Never take the batteries out to power presents
  • Switch off fairy lights and unplug them before you go to bed or leave the house. 
  • Make sure they conform to the British Standard and never overload plug sockets or extension leads.
  • Never place candles near your Christmas tree, decorations or furnishings and never leave a burning candle unattended. Decorations can burn easily, so don’t hang them near lights or heaters.
  • If you do find a fire in your home, get out, stay out and call 999.